Tuesday 23 April 2013

Top 5 Movie Soundtrack Albums


Ramzee says:

Let’s start this off with a quote from a little somebody named, William Shakespeare. “If music be the food of love, play on, give me excess of it.”
You might not agree with anything me or The Jillybean ever have to say, but you have to agree that old Bill Shakespeare knew his stuff.  Music is by far the most powerful way of stirring emotion. Way before Charlie Chaplin even dreamed of uttering a word onscreen, the film soundtrack was already capturing the hearts of millions.  Whether it’s the music in Chariots Of Fire that gets you pumping or witnessing Josie Grossie’s first kiss to the backtrack of a Beach Boys song, a film scene is burned into your memory and holds a special place in your heart because of that song that was chosen so perfectly for that specific scene.  Every romantic wishes that they could experience just one movie moment with that perfect song playing in the background.  Every athlete wishes that they could lift the trophy with the perfect song playing in the background. Every road trip is started with at least one person finding the perfect songs for playing in the background.  Why? Because without realising it, our favourite films have somehow chosen the playlist for us to have as the soundtrack to our lives.  Here are my Top 5 Movie Soundtrack Albums.

5. American Pie


Many of these 90’s, high school, coming of age, teeny bopper films had amazing soundtracks.  They chose the most popular pop rock songs of the year and plastered them wherever they could.  What makes American Pie stand out?  It didn’t use the song to define a mediocre movie moment like She’s All That did when Rachel Leigh Cook came walking down the stairs to the song, Kiss Me.  They used the songs to compliment each scene.  One of the best scenes is when Oz and Heather are having their first real conversation and Good Morning Baby is playing.  Best songs on the album are Sway by Bic Runga and Mutt by Blink 182.

4. The Lion King


Because it doesn’t matter how many Hanna Montana’s, Raven’s or Hillary Duff clones Disney shits out, Timon and Pumba will always be our favourite Disney singers.  From kids who watched the first screening to kids who are watching their parents’ old copies of The Lion King, all of us can sing along to every song in this movie.  Best songs on the album are Be Prepared and Hakuna Matata.

3. A Bronx tale


I’m a huge fan of Motown.  While everyone else is bopping their heads to Dubstep, that’s blaring so loudly in their headphones that the person down the street can hear it, I’m singing along and tapping my foot to old Motown songs.  Hugh Grant said it perfectly in Music & Lyrics, "You can take all the novels in the world, and not one of them will make you feel as good as fast as "I've got sunshine on a cloudy day. When it's cold outside, I've got the month of May"
This album has some of the best Motown songs along with some rock n roll and a bit of Dean Martin thrown in just for flavour.  Best songs are Tell It Like It Is by Aaron Neville and Streets Of The Bronx by Cool Change.

2. Pulp Fiction


Once again, the use of Motown was essential in this album to give some of the scenes the incredible atmosphere that this movie has.  Rock n Roll and Motown is not even the best part of the soundtrack album.  Best part is that snippets of dialogue from the film are included on the album. Best songs?  Let’s Stay Together by Al Green, Son Of A Preacher Man by Dusty Springfield, Girl You’ll Be A Woman Soon by Urge Overkill (And yes, Neil Diamond fans, I know it’s actually his song) and You Never Can Tell by Chuck Berry, 

1. Almost Famous


Nobody compiles a soundtrack album like Cameron Crowe.  Nobody.  As good as his films are, they would never be as good if he didn’t include the amazing music that has now become his signature.  It’s like his films are feature length music videos.  A Cameron Crowe film without great music would look weirder than Voldemort does without his nose.  This soundtrack has everything from Simon & Garfunkel to Led Zeppelin.  Best songs? Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd and Tiny Dancer by Elton John.  Oh you don’t believe that an Elton John song could be one of the best songs on the album when Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Cat Stevens and The Who are all listed on this album? If you’ve seen this movie, then think back to the sing-a-long scene in the bus.  Yep, I knew you’d agree with me.  For those who have no idea what I’m talking about; here you go...




The Jillybean says:


I’ve been told to have quite an eclectic taste for music. Another little something that Ramzee and I simply love. A good ‘ol beat.
Now, my top 5 movie soundtracks just blows my mind. In fact, all I need to do is close my eyes, turn up the volume and I’d still enjoy it. Lies, lies, lies. My list not only offers you an array of great tunes from different eras but are classic movies that should be part of your dusty old movie collection already.
If you’re looking for movies to entertain you on those lonely nights when your bb light is not flashing and even your mom and dad has plans to go out, then here you go. And yes, it’s my pleasure.

5. Project X 


Walked into the cinema high on...life, and decided to catch this “party of the century” movie that had everyone talking. Of course my anticipation was on the top shelf and by the time I had placed my upsized coke in its holder and my coughing pop corn between my legs, I was over it. The picture at first was over whelming and gave me a damn headache. Not the kind of movie to be high on...life. Walked out and caught Contraband. Awesome. But we’ll leave it there.
A few weeks later I decided to give it another bash. My sexy Italian stallion flew into town for one night only. Chilling out in one of Cape Town’s beautiful hotels we got high on...life, curled up and got right into Project X. The beats were raunchy, dirty and the bass was blowing. It wasn’t long before we were in the mood to party and party hard. Needless to say, our rump shakers were up and we hit the town.

4. City of Angels


Loved the movie but “In the arms on an angel” was over played by my mum and it did my head in whenever I heard it. Along came Ramzee and guess who had the soundtrack on CD. An ORIGINAL copy. Got to love that guy. Driving home from work one day I slipped it into my cd player and I found myself enjoying 17:30 Cape Town traffic. A mix of soul and blues, it soothed my wild spirit. Pick of the soundtrack “Mamma you got a daughter”. If you want to connect with some soul and blues. Go and pick up this cd. It’s worth it.

3. Roll bounce


So here’s an era that many people are still living in. And so am I. The 70’s was all about love, cool outfits, funk and being high on...life.
The movie wasn’t the best. More like, easy TV. It was made to right the wrongs of the roller-disco-obsessed movies that were actually made while the craze was operating at full blast. The old school material was well chosen. Let me educate you. Bill Withers’ “Lovely day”, Foxy’s “Get off”, Vaughn Mason & Crew’s “Bounce, rock, skate, roll”, Chics “Le Freak”. Some of the newbies in the industry provides covers that couldn’t possibly match the originals but for some freaky funky juice, do yourselves and favour and listen to “a taste of honey” by Brooke Valentine. Yummy.
Be transported to the era of love...you can thank me later.

2. Dirty dancing





Is this one a little obvious? I hope not. I’m still waiting for my Ryan Gos...I meant Patrick Swayze to lift me up and make me feel like a feather. My dreams live on.
“Be my baby”, “Hungry eyes”, “Don’t you feel like crying”..actually, I might just pop that one into the DVD player tonight. This soundtrack gets me excited every time. Except that hoola hoola crap song sung by Baby’s older sister. My bleeding ears.
Definitely a few of these to be played at my wedding one day. Hopefully I can get out of always being the bridesmaid. Never the damn bride.

1. Rock of Ages



Ramzee, I sure hope you watched this by now and if not, “you have some splainin to do” (if you know where this line originally comes from, you have excellent taste in movies)
I have never in my life jumped off my chair and sang at the top of my alto voice like I did when I was watching this movie. Tom Cruise is brilliant (not that I’m big on this guy) but his performance was simply top class and I was sure I was on my way to being a rockstar after seeing this musical. That man made me believe! Don’t be alarmed. An 80’s over spill of freakin awesome mash ups performed by Tom Cruise, Julianne Hough, Katherine Zita Jones, Diego Boneta, Malin Akerman, Mary J Blige, Russel Brand and much more. Entertaining from beginning to end. Just go and see it already. You are going to love it you 80’s freaks!




That is all.



1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed going back in time with this list...for anyone who enjoys the Lion King Soundtrack, I recommend that you listen to Simba singing "I just can`t wait to be King" in Zulu. The voice actor does an amazing job with it!
    Another film that has an unbelievable soundtrack is the Graduate! I think all credit needs to go to Simon & Garfunkel for giving the movie classic status.

    ReplyDelete